Recently, quite a few users have independently requested for the ability to have multiple portfolios in a single account. It seems typical to have multiple investment accounts, such as CDP, CPF, and SRS.
Although this seems like a straightforward feature, it actually requires significant amount of time and effort to build because:
1. SGXcafe was built with the assumption of one portfolio per account, and to change that means changing the very fundamental blocks upon which SGXcafe was built, i.e. everything.
2. I had to ensure that SGXcafe continues to run smoothly while making this fundamental shift. Hence I was initially really reluctant to do it. However, it is the top feature that Friends of SGXcafe voted for with 10 likes out of the current 23 Friends. Therefore, I decided to invest time and effort to build it.
I am pleased to share that SGXcafe now supports multiple portfolios. Basically, all transactions will be tagged to a portfolio from now on, and all of your current transactions are automatically tagged to the “Default” portfolio.
Here’s what to do if you currently have transactions from your multiple portfolios stored in a single SGXcafe account:
1. Create new portfolios here.
2. Re-tag your current transactions easily using the rightmost column here.
3. For your future transactions, choose the portfolio they belong to as you add them.
If you have multiple SGXcafe accounts for each of your portfolios, you can combine them into a single SGXcafe account:
1. Choose an account (let’s call this account “Main”) and create new portfolios.
2. Go to all your other accounts and export transactions from each of them
3. Go back to “Main” and import all the files from step 2. Remember to choose the correct portfolio from the dropdown before clicking on the upload button.
After the transactions are properly tagged to the respective portfolios, Current Portfolio and Closed Positions will allow you to either view each portfolio separately or together using a dropdown box on the top right.
I will continue to add more features to support Multiple Portfolios based on users and Friends of SGXcafe’s suggestions and votes.